There is a Cupcake Calendar from Harenberg in the house with
lots of lovely recipes to try out.
The plan is to test and taste a new recipe each month to practise
the cupcaking. Take 2 was a banana cupcake with meringue. I like the sound of that.
But making my first meringue on top of a cupcake to top it off was a little scary.
This recipe is easy to remember as it uses measurements of 150 g.
For 12 cupcakes you need:
- 150g soft butter
- 150g sugar
- 150g flour (+ 1 1/2 tsp of baking powder)
- 150g icing sugar
On the fruit front you need
- 3 organic limes (zest and juice)
- 1 ripe banana
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp grated coconut
Preheat the oven to 200°C. Line a muffin tray with 12 cupcake cases.
1. Mix the butter and the sugar and beat until fluffy.
2. Separate egg yolks and egg whites. Whisk the egg yolks plus one whole egg. Add zest and juice of two limes.
3. Add the egg-lime mixture to the butter and slowly add the flour and baking powder. To
finish your cake mix off, add the mashed up banana and the grated coconut.
4. Fill your mix into the prepared muffin tray.
5. Bake for approx. 20 mins.
In the meantime let's make some meringues.
1. Mix the egg whites with the juice of 1 lime and start whisking.
2. Gradually add the the icing sugar while continually whipping until the mixture becomes stiff and glossy.
Take your cupcakes out of the oven and pipe on, or just coat them with the meringue mix.
Put them back into the oven (200°C) for 5 - 10 minutes, until the top turns golden brown.
These cupcakes are quick to make. The banana taste comes through nicely and you can use up
any overripe bananas in your fruit basket.
The meringues have been very good to me too. Maybe that was beginner's luck. It's always exciting to position yourself in front of the oven and gaze at little cakes growing inside.
The original recipe requested 3 whole eggs plus 3 egg whites for the meringue topping. I changed that to just 3 egg yolks plus one whole egg and increased the baking powder. That way you don't end up with leftover yolks.
The chief cake taster in the house was asked for his valued opinion.
Do you like them? Chiefcaketaster: I do. What do they taste of? CCT: Banana. Anything which should be changed? CCT: No.
Sometimes I would like to be a man :-)
Recipe: Harenberg Cupcake Calendar
Preview March: Lemon cupcakes with buttercream